Thursday 5 March 2015

Relaxer Day

Hey y'all!!! Hope we are all good.
So I relaxed my hair at exactly 16 weeks post. My stretch has been a breeze, but I was happy to finally relax my hair. Here’s how it went:
• I used ORS No-lye relaxer in normal strength. I love the lye relaxer but I thought I’d try this one.
Kit contents

• I parted my hair into four sections and finger detangled. Followed through with a wide-tooth comb.
•I applied Vaseline to my scalp, careful not to let it touch my new growth.
• I applied conditioner and Vasline to my previously relaxed hair to prevent relaxer runoff and overlapping.
• Then, I mixed the activator with the crème. I added a teaspoon of olive oil to the relaxer to weaken it. Of all the texlaxing methods, I discovered this is what works best for my hair.
• Then I set the timer on my phone to 15minutes and started applying the relaxer from the back. After applying to all four sections, I started smoothing using only my fingers. Application and smoothing took about 13 minutes.
• I rinsed the relaxer thoroughly with warm water. Then I applied the Replenishing pak that came in the kit. Covered my hair with a shower cap and left on for 10 minutes.
• I rinsed off the conditioner and neutralised with ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo 3x.
• I applied my leave-ins and air dried. I really love the texture I got from this relaxer. I think this is gonna be my staple relaxer, but I want to try Creme of Nature Argan Oil No lye relaxer kit.
Texlaxed
• Once my hair was completely dry, I proceeded to flat iron.  This is my first use of direct heat since I began my hair journey in June 2014. I applied Ultra Sheen Flat Iron protection spray to my hair in sections and made no more than 2 passes. I had to trim my ends in some sections.
Results

I’m now more deeply in love with my hair than ever!!! It’s so full, thick and healthy!! I retained about an inch. It would have been more but I suffered from protein overload in December and my ends broke badly. I had to trim about 2 inches then. I was really upset, but now I’m glad I did!! When I began my hair journey, my hair was so damaged and I ended up being scissors happy. I didn’t see much length increase because of that but now I’m so happy I did all that trimming. I have about 95% texlaxed hair and my ends are quite healthy. Ladies, pick health over length, anytime, any day.
I also did an official length check and here are the pictures.
I plan to continue stretching for 16 weeks for now; I’m aiming for 20 weeks in the end. Hopefully, this stretch will be as good as or even better than the last. Amen!!!
Cheers, Fatee

5 comments: