Tuesday 17 March 2015

Wash day: Protein treatment gone wrong


Hey hairlistas!!!! Whats good? This week, I noticed some breakage. I realised it’s been 5 weeks since I did a hard protein treatment. It wasn’t wash day yet so I grabbed my Double Sheen Argan Oil Leave-in conditioner and sprayed on my hair. It contains hydrolysed Vegetable protein as the second ingredient on the list of ingredients. I sealed with coconut oil (FYI, coconut oil penetrates the hair shaft and helps to reduce protein loss. If you’re suffering from Protein Overload, it’s advisable to stay away from it). I noticed later that the breakage reduced greatly. I just bought this leave-in and I’m loving it!!! Wash day finally came around and here’s how it went:

• Divided my hair into four sections and finger detangled with coconut oil
• Needed to do a hard protein treatment so I mixed an egg, Organics Hair Mayonnaise and Olive oil. Applied on my hair section by section, covered with a nylon bag and left on for an hour. I usually use henna as my hard protein treatment but a lot of people have been asking me if I dyed my hair red. So no more henna for now (or till I figure a way to use it without getting the colour effect).
Red hair due to henna
• I rinsed it off and washed my hair with Dudu Osun black soap bar. Many hairlistas complained that washing their hair with Dudu Osun soap left it dry. I don’t know what they are talking about, my hair loves it!!!!
• My hair felt hard so I followed up with a moisturising DC of Motions Moisture plus conditioner with Organics Cholesterol, added Amla oil and Olive oil. Applied to my hair and covered with a shower cap. There was no electricity power, so I wrapped my head with a towel. About an hour later, the power came back on so I continued DCing with my heating cap (new product). This is my first time using heat to DC since I began my hhj. I’m gonna do a review on the cap. DCed using heat for another hour.
DCing with my heating cap
• I rinsed off the DC and T-shirt dried for 30 minutes. When I unwrapped the tee, I was shocked at how soft my hair was. Not the good kind of soft. The moisture overload kind of soft. What did I do wrong? I’m guessing it’s the heat. Using heat to DC opens up your hair shaft thus allowing the product to fully penetrate your hair and work its magic (that’s why it’s advised to DC with heat). The heat must have opened up my hair shaft way too much (or maybe I overconditioned???). Next wash day, I’m cutting DCing with heat from one hour to 30 minutes.
• In order not to suffer from moisture overload and its nasty side effects, I grabbed my Double Sheen Argan oil leave-in conditioner (again), sprayed my hair in sections and detangled. This conditioner is a lifesaver. For real. My hair felt strong immediately. I applied Motions Triple Action CPR Leave-in conditioner afterwards for more protein. It contains hydrolysed silk protein.
This conditioner is awesome!!!
• I twisted my hair in four sections and let it air-dry. I couldn’t even moisturise and seal; this near-moisture overload episode left me riled up. I just covered my hair with my satin scarf and so ended this washday.
I'm gonna have to keep an eye on my hair to make sure it's balanced.
How did your washday go?
Cheers, Fatee

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That's a long wash day there, wish i can be that patient as you are. Would have dozed off, lol! I love your heating cap and with all you've mentioned, I'm sure your hair would thank you for it. My wash day went well, plz kindly check, thanks.
    hairlevation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete